Re: [O] Computing the value of some cells of a table using a named code

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] Computing the value of some cells of a table using a named code block
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 14:33:54 +0200

Hi Alan

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Alan Schmitt
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I have a table that summarizes my monthly budget, and I would like to
> add a column where I compute my actual spending. I can get this
> information using a shell script, but I don't know how to integrate it
> in the table.
>
> Here is a contrived example:
> #+name: spending
> #+begin_src sh :var category="foo"
> echo $category
> #+end_src
>
> | Category | Budget | Spending |
> |----------+--------+----------|
> | Food     |   1000 |          |
> | Rent     |   1000 |          |
> #+TBLFM: $3=call_spending("$1")
>
> My question is: how do I write the TBLFM so that every cell of column
> 3 is the result of call the named block with column 1 as argument?

When there is no named source block involved I use just

| Category | Budget | Spending |
| Food     |   1000 | Food     |
| Rent     |   1000 | Rent     |
#+TBLFM: $3 = '(org-trim (shell-command-to-string (concat "echo " $1)))

For named source blocks there is sbe, see Worg.

Michael