Re: [O] Feature Request. org-bibtex-tags-are-keywords inherit tags

From: Leonard Randall
Subject: Re: [O] Feature Request. org-bibtex-tags-are-keywords inherit tags
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 12:31:12 +0100

Hi,
I apologize, for the last short post. The keybinding for new headline in org-mode sends an email in gmail. Let us try this again.

Right now when you run org-bibtex with org-bibtex-tags-are-keywords
set to true, only the tags assigned directly to the headline are
converted. So, for instance, if I run org bibtex on a file set up like
this.
#+---------------------EXAMPLE--------------------------------------------
* Journal articles on Authortity                                    :auth:
** Kant's Mature View of Legal Authority                            :Kant:
:PROPERTIES:
(bib info here)
:END:
#+-----------------------END-EXAMPLE--------------------------------------

The .bib file that is exported only inherits the second tag `:Kant:'
Having tag inheritance would be very useful for organizing large
bibliographies. This would give people the convenience of managing and
organizing the files in org-mode, but still allow them to use some of
the convenient features of gui based bibtex browsers. It would also
allow people to share their bibliographies, along with their tags with
colleagues who have not yet been converted to using org-mode.

This relevant behavior is controlled by the function
org-bibtex-headline in org-bibtex.el. I can change the behavior on
my machine by changing `org-get-local-tags-at' to `org-get-tags-at'
in my local version of org-bibtex.el. This of course does not fix
the bug I mentioned last week. (Bug: Error with org-bibtex export with tags when using custom bibtypes)However the cases where the original
org-bibtex works this function works as well. Of course not everyone
would want this on all of the time. However it seems like it would not be
too hard to make a variable such as `org-bibtex-tags-are-keywords-inherit' and modify `org-bibtex-headline' so that you can toggle tag inheritance.
Unfortunately, my knowledge of lisp is particularly rudimentary so I can't offer to do it myself.
Let me know what you think
Thanks so much,
Leonard