Re: [O] How to simply move footnotes from one org document to another?

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: Re: [O] How to simply move footnotes from one org document to another?
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2014 10:01:06 -0700

Hi Grant,

Grant Rettke <address@hidden> writes:

> Goal: Easily copy and paste sections of text along with footnote
> references into the new document,
> and in doing so, add the contents of the previous document to the new
> document, and let org
> deal with the new footnote names.
>
> As I write this, I realize that it isn't so simple. I'm just looking
> for a place to start in terms of what
> is already present and how you deal with it currently.

I use the inline footnote syntax [fn:: ...] for just this reason.  I
think easy migration of non-inline footnotes would be a nice feature to
add to Org, though doing it right would be non-trivial.

A strategy that another user once described to me for dealing with this
problem is the following:

1) Use a regexp search and replace to re-number the footnotes
   in the region of the text you want to move, giving them high numbers
   (e.g., prefixing each with "9999").
2) Use Org to re-sort the footnotes in the original file, so that the
   newly-renumbered footnotes all appear at the end.
3) Move the text and the footnotes to the new file, which should now be
   easy, since the footnotes are all grouped together.
4) In the new file, use Org to re-number the footnotes back to something
normal.

This sounded like a pretty good idea to me, though I haven't had a need
to try it myself.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Richard

(If possible, please encrypt your reply to me using my PGP key:
Key ID: CF6FA646
Fingerprint: 9969 43E1 CF6F A646.
See http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~rwl/encryption.html for more information.)