Re: [O] [RFC] Org Minor Mode?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Org Minor Mode?
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 18:28:22 +0200

Richard Lawrence <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Richard,

> [...]
> shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.
>
> Org provides a set of UI concepts (tree-like structure, visibility
> cycling, tree filtering, task state tracking, building an agenda from
> multiple sources, ...)  that map nicely onto a lot of other situations,
> and would be really handy to have access to even when the syntax of the
> underlying file is incompatible with Org's syntax.
>
> There are two ways to think about Org syntax, which I think should be
> distinguished here.  One is as the grammar of a .org file: basically, a
> set of rules that allow a sequence of characters to be parsed into an
> AST.  The other way to think about Org syntax is the way Lisp
> programmers sometimes talk about syntax: as the AST itself, the
> collection of Lisp data types and their interrelationships that define a
> valid Org document.
>
> If Org were to evolve to the point where the UI concepts were
> implemented purely as transformations on an AST -- on Org syntax in the
> second sense -- then the way would be clear for making those concepts
> available in editing modes where the grammar of the underlying file is
> incompatible with Org syntax in the first sense.  A programming mode
> could, say, parse comments into an Org AST, then expose that AST to the
> functions implementing Org's UI concepts.  Et voila: you get visibility
> cycling, task state tracking, agendas...in your source code comments.
>
> One sort of use case where I think this idea could really shine is in
> dealing with email.  Obviously, the grammar of the underlying mail files
> (say, in a Maildir) will never be compatible with Org syntax in the
> first sense.  But Org handles so many of the concepts that apply to
> email (threading messages into hierarchies, visibility cycling, tagging,
> sorting by date or priority, thinking of messages as tasks to be dealt
> with, dealing with attachments) in such a nice way that I find myself
> sorely missing Org whenever I read mail in a client that doesn't
> implement them as nicely -- which is all of them.  If it were possible
> to build a parser for message files that transformed them into an Org
> AST, the mail client of my dreams would be in reach.
>
> I have no idea if evolving Org in this direction is feasible or even
> really desireable.  It may be that the two notions of Org syntax are
> tightly coupled in principle, so that the idea of producing an Org AST
> from an alternative underlying file format will never make sense.  But I
> think that would be surprising.
>
> This evolution would clearly require more work than just abstracting out
> the regular expressions that implement much of Org's syntax in the first
> sense, and I think Bastien and Nicolas are right that we don't want
> either notion of Org syntax to become less stable.  Still, I think
> there's a lot of interesting possibilities we could explore if Org's
> implementations of the two notions of syntax were to become less tightly

thanks for your long and interesting comment!

But thats very ambitious, I'm actually looking for something much more
prosaic - being able to structure and use a buffer/file in a programming
mode like an Org-mode buffer/file besides the fact the headlines and
text needs to be outcommented.

Thats partly possible with orgstruct or outshine, but I think there is
potential for more if Org functions could deal with outcommented
syntax-elements. And at the lowest level its all about regexps that
don't match because there is comment-syntax behind the "^" and before
the "$" (and maybe a different star is used instead of "*"), e.g.

(outshine-style) Elisp
,--------------------
| "^;; \\* Headline$"
`--------------------