Re: [O] babel and long-running computations

From: Waldemar Quevedo
Subject: Re: [O] babel and long-running computations
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 23:58:04 +0900

Hey Christoph,

Not sure if this would help you, but I've playing with the idea of extracting some of the functionality that Org babel provides and created a small tool for doing reproducible runs using Org mode syntax: https://gist.github.com/wallyqs/10989253
It is based on the Org ruby parser implementation so not all the latest syntax and features are covered...

I named it `org-converge` in the sense that a reproducible run should converge into the same result, and also because in the long run I hope to achieve some similar functionality (or at least wrap around) what is possible to do currently with tools like chef, ansible etc...

I' ve found it useful for doing reproducible runs along with other tools like Chef and Capistrano, and also for some development work. If you have some ideas or feature requests the feedback is welcome :)
The repository is here: https://github.com/wallyqs/org-converge

Hope this helps,

- Wally

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 9:45 PM, Christoph Groth <address@hidden> wrote:
Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:

>> I’d love to hear about any frameworks or workflows that fulfill these
>> requirements.
>
> here is a link about that topic:

> | http://draketo.de/english/emacs/parallel-babel

Thanks.  I had found this one myself - this way of working does not seem
to allow to capture the results of the calculation in orgmode.

So probably a better way is to have some caching machinery in the
background.  I see that babel has built-in caching but there seems to be
no way to support dependencies.

Christoph