Re: [O] Some desktop managers co-opt C-M-right and C-M-left

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] Some desktop managers co-opt C-M-right and C-M-left
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 13:56:46 +0200

Susan Cragin <address@hidden> writes:

> Aggghhh.
> I changed to the Enlightenment desktop manager, changed my underlying
> distro to Lubuntu (LXDE)
>
> Both desktop managers co-opt the C-M-right and -left keys to change
> desktops. (They also co-opt C-S-right.) Ditto -up and -down.
>
> I have tried the following:
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-S-right") 'org-demote-subtree)
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-S-left") 'org-promote-subtree)
>
> error: C-S- must prefix a single character, not right
>
> Have also tried C-M-right, with similar results.
>
> Does anyone have an idea? I have two problems. On-line documentation
> has told me that I can spell out the word "right" to mean
> "right-arrow," but clearly that is wrong, and there is one letter that
> does this. ???

maybe "C-S-<right>"?

> My second problem is this: will a command set in .emacs over-ride a
> command set by my desktop?

I don't think so, the command will probably never reach Emacs because
its used by the WM

> If it does not, should I try the following, and use the Windows /
> super key?

You could also try to change the WM (or OS) keybindings and free those
key combinations you want for Emacs. Its an ongoing struggle, I had and
have these problems/conflict too, its even worse on the console where
some keyboard keys are just dead by default.

--
cheers,
Thorsten