Re: [O] [RFC] Org Minor Mode?

From: Ilya Shlyakhter
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Org Minor Mode?
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 14:44:37 -0400

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:
> We should absolutely avoid advice in code.

Fully agree.  (I was thinking of using an flet-like construct to
temporarily rebind functions for the duration of calls, rather than
permanent advice -- see elu-flet in
https://github.com/notestaff/elu/blob/master/elu.el -- but, still agree.)

What would be the downside of abstracting away the headline syntax in
the Org code?  (Other than the admittedly significant issue of
disturbing well-tested core code.  On the other hand, abstracted code
would be more readable & maintainable; see e.g. Org syntax defined with
an rx-like extension:
https://github.com/notestaff/elu/blob/master/rxx-org.el , or with
Thorsten's drx.el )

Obviously this would be a lot of work, but the upside of having a full
Org minor mode (in particular for outshine-type use) would make it worth
it, for me at least.