Re: [O] org-ref code

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] org-ref code
Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 15:08:59 +0100

On Thursday,  1 May 2014 at 08:21, Seb Frank wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Now that you have mentioned it, do you have a good web resource / manual
> for your set up, or would you mind sharing bits of it? It looks eminently
> useful. I have a set up largely following this
>
> http://tincman.wordpress.com/2011/01/04/research-paper-management-with-emacs-org-mode-and-reftex/
>
> but I wouldn't know how to get some of the things you mention (type of
> citation entry, biblatex vs latex etc.) to work.

Hi Seb,

I don't have much of a setup, actually.  You already do much more than I
do!

I tend to do things manually until somebody else posts something useful
already configured (like John has just done).  For instance, I simply
use C-c C-l to store a link manually, typing in the type of link (cite
vs autocite) and the bibtex key directly.  I used to use reftex with org
but found it got in the way although I cannot now remember how or why!

When in doubt, I resort to LaTeX.  I have been using LaTeX for 30 years
or so.  The beauty of org is that it allows me to fall back to LaTeX
without any hassle for most things.

I suffer (or have suffered badly in the past) from RSI so my main
concern is having things that are easy to type but paradoxically I don't
have a problem with typing normal text and I do touch type quickly.  I
use evil mode which means I can avoid most chorded commands.  To use
org, I have bound many org commands to keys in the normal state mode map
in evil.  For instance, I have org-export-dispatch assigned to ", e" so
I can export to pdf and view it in emacs by typing ", e l o".  I have
similar key bindings for many org commands.  For instance, "t" on a
headline will invoke org-todo.  ", n" and ", p" move to next and
previous headlines, "<" to org-metaleft, etc.  The aim is to avoid all
or most M- and especially M-S- key bindings which kill my hands.  C- is
not so bad but I avoid even these if possible.

I use a few yasnippets and make significant use of abbrev mode in Emacs
to help with typing.  I also make use of org's own snippet system.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful and thanks for the link to your setup.

eric
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.4.50.2, Org release_8.2.6-923-g233c11