[O] Problems with org-capture

From: Josef Wolf
Subject: [O] Problems with org-capture
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 11:57:34 +0200

Hello everybody,

I am new to org-mode, and am currently working through
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~charles57/GTD/gtd_workflow.html and am stuck
a little bit the the caprure mode.

My first question is: org-capture seems to come with a pre-confuigured
template for a "Todo" stanza. I thought, I'd take a closer look at this
example to learn from it and as a starting point for my own
customizations. But DESCRIBE-VARIABLE shows that ORG-CAPTURE-TEMPLATES is set
to NIL. So, where does this pre-configured "Todo" entry come from?

The I created my own template like this:

 (setq org-capture-templates
  '(("t" "Todo" entry (file+headline "/m/s/rep/git/todo/newgtd.org" "Tasks")
     "* TODO %^{Brief Description} %^g%?\n   Created: %U\n   %i\n   %A\n\n"
     :kill-buffer :empty-lines 3)))

With this template, I have two problems:

- The most annoying problem is that it eats up the newlines behind the newly
  created entry. I always keep multiple empty lines between top-level
  headings. But even then, a newly created entry eats up all the newlines and
  even melts the succeeding heading onto the end of the newly created entry.
  I guess, this is not how it is meant to work. How would I define

- The second problem is that when invoked with content fron an active region
  (the %i flag), then the %A flag won't ask me for a link description and the
  %i contents are used as description.

Any ideas what might be wrong here?

--
Josef Wolf