Re: [O] How to generate an index?

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] How to generate an index?
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 10:02:14 -0500

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Sharon Kimble
<address@hidden> wrote:
> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 1:32 PM, Sharon Kimble
>> <address@hidden> wrote:

[ snip ]

Looks like you're quite close!

> These four files gives the output of "cat.pdf", attached.
>
> * Things not working properly
> - I can't find how to get the title, author and date on a page of
> their own.

Can you clarify? As in you want sort of a "cover page" instead of the
title/author/date being toward the top/middle of the page, immediately
followed by the TOC on the same page? Googling around, I found a
similar question from... myself!
- http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-04/msg00172.html

The suggestion back then was to define your own class, so you'd need
to copy/modify Org's default article class so you get something like:

\maketitle
\newpage
\tableofcontents

> - I can't find how to get "references" showing in the table of
> contents.

Google is your friend; there's a bunch of suggestions:
- https://www.google.com/search?q=latex+add+references+to+table+of+contents

Try the StackExchange ones. You might have to replace your current
one-liner with a few other commands as well as loading packages with
some varied options, at least from skimming the top hit.

> - The index is working with the default of 2 columns, but I want the
> page numbers to all be aligned to the right. I haven't yet found how
> to do it.

Google, again:
-
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/132465/right-aligning-pagenumbers-in-index-with-imakeindex

> Can anyone help with any, or all, of the three problems I've just
> outlined please? Apart from those its working well :)
>
> Sharon.

The common theme is Google -> read -> try stuff -> Google -> read ->
try stuff -> email Org-mode list :)

John