Re: [O] org-ref code

From: Andreas Reuleaux
Subject: Re: [O] org-ref code
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 09:12:26 +0100

John Kitchin <address@hidden> writes:

> C-c ] should be bound by default to org-ref-insert-cite-link. It is defined
> in a hook function in line 104 of org-ref.org.
>
> I made a custom variable to store the key-binding, but I realized it
> probably doesn't help, since the binding
>

>> 1. C-u on it does not give me a choice of citation method
>>

> If you type C-u M-x  org-ref-insert-cite-link
>
> do you get a choice?
>
> I just tried this on a fresh pull and it does work for me. I am not sure
> why this wouldn't work for you.  Do you tangle the .el file from the .org
> file? I have this code somewhere else to build it when needed:

I can confirm that C-c ] and C-u C-c ]
work fine for me.

my setup if fairly simple (with org-ref.el tangled from org-ref.org)

  (require 'org-ref)

  (custom-set-variables
   '(org-ref-bibliography-notes "notes.org")
   '(org-ref-default-bibliography  (list "refs.bib"))
   ;; '(org-ref-pdf-directory "...")
   ;; '(org-ref-default-citation-link "...")
   ;; '(org-ref-insert-cite-key "...")
   )

looking forward to discover more of org-ref.

FWIW, I was using textcite:... (with biblatex) as well, helped myself by
just inserting a cite:... and then changing the link with C-c C-l from
cite to textcite. But I really need read up on all those different
citations commands once more, maybe textcite is not really necessary?
Could I add it somehow to the list of choices available in "C-u C-c ]" ?
(I realized there are citetext, citep*, citep as well, that I yet have
to discover).

By the way: the org-ref.org literate programming docs are fine
for someone interested in the gory details / relatively experienced.
Ist there a simpler document just describing its usage - that
you would hand out to your chemistry students e. g. ?

Somehting maybe explaining the differences from the other approaches
that can be found e g in

http://tincman.wordpress.com/2011/01/04/research-paper-management-with-emacs-org-mode-and-reftex/

http://www-public.it-sudparis.eu/~berger_o/weblog/2012/03/23/how-to-manage-and-export-bibliographic-notesrefs-in-org-mode/

Thanks for org-ref.