Re: [O] org-ref code

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] org-ref code
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 14:36:02 +0100

On Sunday, 11 May 2014 at 14:48, John Kitchin wrote:

[...]

> C-c ] should be bound by default to org-ref-insert-cite-link. It is defined
> in a hook function in line 104 of org-ref.org.

Yes.  It is.

I don't use this binding.  I use evil mode and don't like chorded
commands.  I have org-ref-insert-cite-link bound to ", r" but that's
beside the point, in any case.

>> 1. C-u on it does not give me a choice of citation method
>
> If you type C-u M-x  org-ref-insert-cite-link
> do you get a choice?

No.  I get prompted for the expression to search for and then I get
prompted for an optional argument and the final text inserted in my org
buffer is \cite{....}, not cite:....

> I just tried this on a fresh pull and it does work for me. I am not sure
> why this wouldn't work for you.  Do you tangle the .el file from the .org
> file? I have this code somewhere else to build it when needed:

I do tangle and then eval-buffer just to make sure I have the right code
loaded.

>> 2. the link inserted "looks" like a link (it's blue) but there are
>>      actually no [[...]] characters surrounding it.
>>
> There are no [[...]]. The links work fine without them for me. Are they
> necessary for some reason? I can add them, but since they do not do
> anything but disappear in this case, I leave them out.

Well, I obviously have something not quite configured properly in my
environment.  The cite: text is highlighted as a link in the org buffer
(as it should with org-highlight-links set) but is treated as simple
text when exported so that I simply get "cite:..." in the latex
output.  If I "C-c C-l" it and don't add a description, the org buffer
*looks* the same but the export works because org and/or the exporter
know that it's a link.

Is there some org variable I have not set that tells org to treat cite:
plain text as a link on export?  Obviously org already recognises it as
a link but the export doesn't...  org-link-protocols and org-link-types
look fine.

I am most puzzled... :(

By the way, in my use case, even if the above would work properly, it
would still definitely help if the [[...]] were inserted as I sometimes
use superscript indices and in those cases I do not want any whitespace
between the text and the citation that follows.  Anyway, this is
secondary.

thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.4.50.2, Org release_8.2.6-949-g751506