Re: [O] Using Emacs, Org-mode and R for Research Writing in Social Scien

From: Axel Kielhorn
Subject: Re: [O] Using Emacs, Org-mode and R for Research Writing in Social Sciences
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 16:07:28 +0200

Am 12.05.2014 um 14:57 schrieb Vikas Rawal <address@hidden>:

> I have been using Org for writing research papers for a while, gradually
> improving my set up to be able to exactly produce the output I want. In this
> process, I have benefited greatly not only from the resources available on
> the Org-mode website but also from various people who generously provided
> solutions to my numerous queries on this mailing list. I felt that it may be
> of some use if I put together all the pieces and document what I was doing.
>
> I have put the draft for comments at:
> https://github.com/vikasrawal/orgpaper/blob/master/orgpapers.org

This looks like a workflow I may like.

A few comments:

I tried to export the .org to Latex and failed because it needed
tabulary and threeparttable.

They are used if you use vikas-general.org but as far as i understood the
document that is just recommended.

I added the line
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{tabulary,threeparttable}
to the document.

Another problem I had are the URLs in the section titles.
They cause problems when running the tex file a second time.

Runaway argument?
{R \(` `\045\BOOKMARK [2][-]{subsection.2.4}{Pandoc}{section.2}\BOOKMARK \ETC.
! File ended while scanning use of \@@BOOKMARK.
<inserted text>
                \par

You may want to move the URLs from the section title to the body.

You are using straight (") quotation marks in org and the LaTeX export has
straight quotation marks. Is there a way to convert them to “” or \enquote?

You are using

: #+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [garamond]

which results in

\documentclass[garamond]{article}

But garamond is not a valid option for article.

I use this instead
#+Latex_HEADER: \usepackage{tgschola}

I tried ebgaramont, but that font does not contain TS1 support.

Now I have a printable version of your document and will have a closer look.

Greetings
Axel