Re: [O] Insert #+BEAMER_HEADER_EXTRA before \begin{document}?

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] Insert #+BEAMER_HEADER_EXTRA before \begin{document}?
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 19:59:47 +0200

Hi Eric, Suvayu and al.

Eric S Fraga wrote:
> On Thursday,  8 May 2014 at 15:38, Sebastien Vauban wrote:
>> The above things are currently (almost, for some) impossible.  Changing
>> where the #+BEAMER_HEADER placeholder gets inserted makes them possible
>> and easy.
>
> but unfortunately would make other things more difficult.  For instance,
> I often redefine the date command (and sometimes title and author) to do
> something different.  If the header entries were placed after the use of
> theses, things would break for me.
>
> I think the creation of an ...EXTRA directive would be better but I've
> argued for this before and have lost that argument.

I also think that having 2 locations is better than just 1, as I'm also
sure one will work better or only for specific things, but will break
for others.

Having 2 placeholders allow for full customization, if correctly
placed -- at least, one just before the begin{document}, the other?

> You can achieve what you want by redefining \title, I would
> suggest.  Not pretty but it works.

For sure, such a thing is not pretty:

#+BIND: org-latex-title-command "\\title[Short title]{Title which can
be\\\\very long}\n\\author[F. Last]{\\href{mailto:address@hidden
Last}}\n\\date[May 2014]{21 May 2014}\n\\maketitle"

But the whole point is that is DOES NOT even WORK for a couple of
things, such as modifying base colors of a theme:

#+BEAMER_HEADER: \setbeamercolor{frametitle}{bg=blue}

won't work because of the misplacement of the BEAMER_HEADER placeholder
regarding to the (color) theme: the above line will be placed before the
choice of the theme... TOO EARLY.

On the contrary, adding it in the above title command (already in the
LaTeX document, that is) is TOO LATE.

Best regards,
  Seb

--