Re: [O] [RFC] Org Minor Mode?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Org Minor Mode?
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 23:47:35 +0200

Hi Thorsten,

Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:

>> I for one need to have a clearer picture of what such a minor mode
>> would really do, without getting prematurily lost in the details of
>> possible implementations.
>
> Its just a better and smarter outshine-mode (major-mode agnostic "Org
> look&feel" for programming modes).

But what would it *do*?  Can you give a simple example of a specific
feature?  The one about editing source code in buffers other than Org
buffers, maybe?

> outshine, outorg and navi-mode are all in the mid-range of popular melpa
> packages, so there seems to be some real demand ...

No doubt!

> I started with code (https://github.com/tj64/omm),

(FWIW I don't think omm.el is a really good name, it's hard to guess
what it is supposed to do.  You could use org-minor-mode.el and keep
omm- as a prefix?)

> but faced the fundamental problem of hardcoded regexps (^, $, and
> \\*) all over the Org sources that make Org functions fail on
> outcommented headers and in outcommented text sections in general.
>
> The goals, ideas and even implementations (outshine, orgstruct) are
> already there, a first intent to merge them into one library exists
> (omm.el), but what to do about this core problem?

Circumvent it?  Instead of try to adapt tons of Org features so that
they run into other modes, we could try to emulate them in temporary
buffers, where the peculiarities of the origin mode do not prevent
Org functions from running -- see for example how `org-open-at-point'
deals with links in comments.  This could be generalized to, e.g.,
handle lists in Emacs lisp comments.

--
 Bastien