[O] Standard skipping conditions have no effect

From: Thomas Morgan
Subject: [O] Standard skipping conditions have no effect
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2014 19:21:01 -0400

Hello, Org mode hackers,

Here is a recipe for a bug on the maint branch that causes standard
skipping conditions to have no effect.

1. Change the load path setting in `setup.el'.

2. Start Emacs with `emacs -Q -l setup.el'.

3. Customize the agenda commands with `M-x org-agenda C'.

4. Add a new command, change the match field to tag `foo', and add a
   standard skipping condition for TODO states, so that the command
   looks like this in the customization buffer:

   ,----
   | INS DEL Choice: Value Menu Single command:
   |             Access Key(s) : x
   |             [X] Description: Describe command here
   |             Choice: Value Menu Tags/Property match (all agenda files)
   |             Match (only for some commands): foo
   |             Local settings for this command.  Remember to quote values:
   |             INS DEL Setting: Value Menu Standard skipping condition:
   |                         org-agenda-skip-function
   |                         Skipping range: Value Menu Skip entry
   |                         Conditions for skipping:
   |                         INS DEL Condition type: Value Menu TODO state is:
   |                                     todo
   |                                     Choice: Value Menu any not-done state
   |                         INS
   |             INS
   |             [ ] Export:
   |                 INS
   `----

5. Type `M-x org-agenda x'.  The resulting agenda view looks like this:

   ,----
   | Headlines with TAGS match: foo
   | Press `C-u r' to search again with new search string
   |   test-case:  TODO Buckle my shoe
:foo:
   `----

   I expected the TODO item to be filtered out.

   This is the value of `org-agenda-custom-commands':

   ,----
   | (("x" "Describe command here" tags "foo"
   |   ((org-agenda-skip-function
   |     '(org-agenda-skip-entry-if todo todo))))
   |  ("n" "Agenda and all TODO's"
   |   ((agenda "" nil)
   |    (alltodo "" nil))
   |   nil))
   `----

   The problem seems to be that the arguments to
   `org-agenda-skip-entry-if' are unquoted.  The following steps verify
   that.

6. Change `org-agenda-custom-commands', quoting the arguments to
   `org-agenda-skip-entry-if'.

   ,----
   | (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
   |       '(("x" "Describe command here" tags "foo"
   |          ((org-agenda-skip-function
   |            '(org-agenda-skip-entry-if 'todo 'todo))))
   |         ("n" "Agenda and all TODO's"
   |          ((agenda "" nil)
   |           (alltodo "" nil))
   |          nil)))
   `----

7. Remake the custom agenda view with `M-x org-agenda x'.

   ,----
   | Headlines with TAGS match: foo
   | Press `C-u r' to search again with new search string
   `----

   As expected, the TODO item is filtered.

Best,

Thomas