Re: [O] How to create non-inheritable properties?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] How to create non-inheritable properties?
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 23:24:55 +0200

Grant Rettke <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> My org file has a lot of text in it. It really needs to be in the same
> file though, so it is a big file.
>
> When I org-babel-tangle, I would like to speed it up as it takes 8 minutes.

8 minutes? wow ...

when I convert my former big init.el with 7272 lines to org-mode with

,-----------------------
| M-x outorg-edit-as-org
`-----------------------

like this

,------------------------------------------
| (benchmark-run (outorg-edit-as-org '(4)))
`------------------------------------------

the result is

,-----------------------------------
| (3.551239904 8 0.7361492030000001)
`-----------------------------------

i.e. 4 seconds.

Converting it back to emacs-lisp-mode with

,---------------------------------------------
| (benchmark-run (outorg-copy-edits-and-exit))
`---------------------------------------------

takes

,------------------------------------
| (0.107002176 1 0.09775636400000032)
`------------------------------------

i.e. 0.1 sec.

I don't know *how* big your file is, but instead of waiting 8 min for
tangling you could as well install outshine.el and outorg.el and then
use

,-----------------------------------
| M-: outorg-convert-org-to-outshine

to convert your org-file to an (org-style) structured emacs-lisp
file. Then you don't need any tangling anymore since you are in
emacs-lisp-mode anyway, and whenever you want to edit (comment-)text you
use outorg to temporarily convert the subtree or the whole buffer to
org-mode for editing.

--
cheers,
Thorsten