Re: [O] org-mode and/versus make/makefiles

From: Grant Rettke
Subject: Re: [O] org-mode and/versus make/makefiles
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 15:00:01 -0500

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 2:24 PM, Greg Minshall <address@hidden> wrote:
> i'm wondering if anyone else, having wrestled with these issues,

Yes.

> has any recipes for some approximation of happiness.  or, some totally
> different
> approach i'm too set in my ways to see.

For me it has been the same approach defined in the macro writers handbook:
1. Do it manually until I know how it works.
2. Make sure that it works well in a couple other places.
3. Automate it

Sometimes it is just easier to explain to a human what is happening
when you use a makefile because if you are using noweb references then
you've already got a lot on your cognitive plate. My build is kind of
basic, but it depends upon your perspective.

The Makefile just makes it crystal clear, it prepares the document for
tangling or does the weaving, nothing more, and for now that works
fine.

Use the best tool for the job, by your definition.