Re: [O] proposal to have ignoreheading tags/properties

From: Ken Mankoff
Subject: Re: [O] proposal to have ignoreheading tags/properties
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 13:41:28 -0400

+1 to the OP.

On 2014-06-12 at 13:32, Thorsten Jolitz wrote:

> In a tree structure, when ignoring the parent node, it seems only
> logical that the siblings are ignored too.

I'm found myself in all of the following situations:
  1. I want the heading and everything below not-exported
  2. I want the heading not-exported, but the content exported.
     1. I don't care if the sub-headings are kept or moved up a level
     2. I do care - I want the sub-headings to remain as-is.
     3. I do care - I want the sub-headings to be promoted.
  3. I want the heading and the heading-level content not-exported, but
     sub-heading and their content exported

> You seem to use the wrong tool for the task (headlines), this looks
> like a perfect use case for TAGS, i.e. define your (concept) groups as
> tags. If these tags are not part of `org-export-exclude-tags' they
> won't affect exporting, but you can still use them to build your
> agenda or a sparse tree or so.

A simple example where tags don't work, nothing to do with agenda. Some
paper formats (Nature, for example) do not allow headings or
sub-headings. It is just 2 pages of text. But it is certainly nice to
write the paper and organize thoughts in sections and sub-sections. This
is case 2.0 above. Each heading is tagged ":noexport" and it is not
exported, but the content (text, figures, lists) below the heading is
exported. I'm not sure how tags would help here, other than the tag of
":noexport".

Another common (for me) example is to have a heading called "* Appendix"
in a paper, and then the LaTeX "\appendix" command. The Org heading is
just for me. It should not be exported. All headings below the \appendix
command are Org sub-sections but should be promoted to \section in the
final document.

  -k.