[O] Discussion request: 15m tangle time, details follow

From: Grant Rettke
Subject: [O] Discussion request: 15m tangle time, details follow
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 19:16:03 -0500

Good evening,

Over the past few months I've been working on the same literate
document. It has been a learning
experience for me, trial and error has abounded. The key tenet that
I've adhered too though is to truly
embrace literate programming, and the more I learn the more it makes
sense. The document has
grown quite organically and it has been and continues to be a
wonderful experience. What I need
help, feedback, discussion, and more on is the build time.

The average build takes 15m. It didn't start this way; it was about 3
minutes way back when. The last time it
got kind of big was 9m and I didn't think too much of it. After
literally a day of additions, it shot up to 15m.
I tried upgrading to the latest org release with no change. I also
removed all of the non-tangleable text with no change there, either.To
give a fair picture, I did publish the system here:

https://github.com/grettke/home

My specific request: I need help with pointers on where I should start
looking to speed things up. My goal is to have a full powered literate
programming system in org mode that is blazing fast. This is from a
user perspective, I use it every chance I get now and have barely
scratched the surface. Right now though I'm sort of hobbled by the
build time. That is actually understating it, I can't really be
productive anymore at all. Little
changes take 15m each and if I test it the "right way", 30m. Usually I
would make little changes and every
so often make sure that it can rebuild itself; usually it may :).

This build is documented in the github project; it only loads the
absolute minimum required to do the build.

Ideas: Separate the documents. Hack on org directly.

Non-ideas: Faster hardware. More ram. Newer software.

Details:

Emacs 24.3.1.
Org 8.2.6
OSX 10.9 (software updated)
Darwin orion 13.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 13.2.0: Thu Apr 17 23:03:13
PDT 2014; root:xnu-2422.100.13~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
8core 2.x GHz, 16GB ram
Anti-virus turned off (compliance)

Please let me know any comments, questions, or concerns; looking
forward to all and every thought
and idea.

Where I may contribute is with time, effort, patience, cheerfulness,
and experience.

Kind regards,

Grant Rettke | ACM, ASA, FSF, IEEE, SIAM
address@hidden | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson