[O] Orgtbl-mode in latex: escaped braces and dollars, and other arbitrar

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: [O] Orgtbl-mode in latex: escaped braces and dollars, and other arbitrary transformations
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 09:55:46 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

I'm forwarding this question asked on stackexchange:
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/186605/with-orgtbl-how-to-ensure-
that-braces-and-dollars-are-not-escaped

After some investigation, it seems that the behavior is hidden deep in the
export routines, and I was wisely suggested to ask the question on this list
instead.

I have given some tex-related details in the linked question, including some
motivations and an example, the tl;dr is that in some conditions, the
orgtbl-to-latex exporter will perform arbitrary escape of some characters in
the cells, or other kind of transformations:

 $\text{test}$
is exported verbatim (OK).

But
 \pbox{test}
becomes
 \pbox\{test\}

 {test}
becomes
 \{test\}

 {$test$}
becomes
 \{\$test\$\}

And the exporter seems to be trying to be smart, because it will still
ensure that the result is correct:

 {$\infty$}
becomes
 \{\$$\infty$\$\}

The weirdest of all might be this one:
 \pbox{Foo: \\${bar= (2^{3},1)}$, ${baz= (8^{4})}$}
becomes
 \pbox\{Foo: \\${bar= (2^{3},1)}$, \$\{baz= (8$^{\text{4}}$)\}\$\}

(Note how the two mathematical expressions recieve different treatment, and
the decision to insert "\text" around the exponent!)

The option `:no-export`, as expected, has no effect, since it only controls
whether `#_^&%` are escaped or not.

Is this a known feature, or a bug? And is there a known workaround?

Thanks,

Thibaut Verron