Re: [O] minor problem on major version number

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] minor problem on major version number
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 19:44:09 +0200

Nick Dokos writes:
> After last night's git pull, org-version returns "beta_8.3" which
> broke the major-version calculation above. I hardwired the org version
> major number above, but I was wondering if we could agree on  some
> convention/method that will not break in the future - maybe an
> org-major-version function?

There already is a perfectly good convention available via C-h i
version-to-list, which means the tag should have been named
"release_8.3beta" and you do not need to invent your own version parsing
code.  Meanwhile, put these into local.mk:

GITVERSION ?= $(shell git describe --match release\* --abbrev=6 HEAD)
ORGVERSION ?= $(subst release_,,$(shell git describe --match release\*
--abbrev=0 HEAD))

I'm tempted to install that in targets.mk to avoid further breakage by
malformed tags.

Regards,
Achim.