Re: [O] org-ref in action

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] org-ref in action
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 13:44:03 -0500

Alan Schmitt <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2014-06-26 16:39, Matt Lundin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> By contrast, ox-bibtex.el runs citations through bibtex2html, which is
>> pretty much limited to the "old-fashioned" bibtex formats.
>
> What would be required for bibtex2html to take biblatex input? I thought
> the backend format was similar or the same (as you can tell, I know
> nothing of biblatex).

I don't think this is possible without some major
hacking/conversion/filtering. Biblatex has many more entry types and
fields than bibtex. I've found that most of the older bibtex utils
(bibtools, bibtex2html) choke on my biblatex files.

Even if biblatex2html did read biblatex data, its output, I believe, is
limited to bibtex styles, which cannot handle more complex formats. Many
scientific journals require bibtex formats. But many humanities
disciplines have more complicated bibliographical requirements that
bibtex cannot handle.

Best,
Matt