Re: [O] Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode

From: M
Subject: Re: [O] Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 16:52:51 +0200

> Von: Karl Voit <address@hidden>
> Datum: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 16:28:47 +0200
> An: <address@hidden>
> Betreff: Re: [O] Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
>
> * M <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, in fact that's what I wanted to say:
>> often (in my experience) a USP is not a single feature, but the combination
>> of several ones which makes the product unique.
>
> This was also my concern: maybe it's the combination and not a list
> of USPs I was hoping for.
>
> Hm.
>
> However, this does not offer a quick win for those "why should I
> learn Emacs/Org-mode" as I was wishing for. So I still have to
> explain all those different features and hope that people understand
> the great power of combining them.
>
> To me, in the beginning I was not able to get the power of Org-mode
> as well. I tended to think in boxes like its todo/task-feature or
> its calendar or the note taking feature or or or. And not: and,
> and, and, and everything combined.

You made a good point:
* integration of tasks with calendar and "content" (notes, text,
attachments, etc.) is also a strong point of org-mode

* Using hyperlinks is another important feature (but certainly not unique)

What about trying to collect and comment the good features in WORG?

I think the best thing to compare different tools is making a list with
features and mark which tools support which ones.
I assume there is already such a list

for dependencies:
I think TaskCoach can handle them as well and it's also free and platform
independent:
http://taskcoach.org/

Kind regards

Martin