Re: [O] Problem with org-mode after upgradiing to org 8

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Problem with org-mode after upgradiing to org 8
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 13:34:16 -0500

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 6:05 AM, Roland Everaert <address@hidden> wrote:
> org-mode will makes me crazy. After a deep review (well rewrite my entire
> configuration based on norang's one) org-mode is working again, but its the
> version bundled with emacs that seems to be loaded and not the one I
> downloaded from the git repository.
>

> My emacs configuration is structured like so:
>
> ~/.emacs.d/init.el
> ~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/ --> contains alot of lisp codes including the
> directory of org.

Do you have a ~/.emacs? One thought that occurred is making sure the
"right" config is loaded, or that they are loaded in the right order.
I don't understand how Emacs works on that level, but I have just
always used ~/.emacs for a config.
-
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3349172/whats-the-startup-sequence-for-emacs

> At the top of the init.el file I put the following:
>
> (let ((default-directory "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/"))
>       (normal-top-level-add-to-load-path '("."))
>       (normal-top-level-add-subdirs-to-load-path))
>

> I, later, load a file containing all my org-mode configuration. That file is
> located in ~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/. I load that file in this way:
>
> (load-library "my-org-mode-config")
>
>  At the top of that configuration file is written:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name
> "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp"))
> (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name
> "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org-mode/contrib/lisp"))
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.\\(org\\|org_archive\\)$" . org-mode))
>
> (require 'org)
>

> So I don't understand why M-x org-version gives me:
>
> Org-mode version 7.9.3f (release_7.9.3f-17-g7524ef @
> /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/)

While I'm no master/authority... you've not taken the suggestion I
provided originally, which is to remove *all* complicated stuff and
just make sure that the git version of Org is functioning properly.
Copied and pasted from my initial response:

=====
;; create a file (say, ~/Desktop/minimal-config) with the following
*single* line
;; in your case, looks like you'd do "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/"
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/path/to/org.git/lisp/")

>From a command line, run:

$ emacs -Q

Then from Emacs, run:

M-x load-file [press enter] /path/to/minimal-config/from/above [press enter]

Then run:

M-x org-version
=====

Please try that and post the result.