[O] Infinite loop with org-log-done 'time?

From: Ethan
Subject: [O] Infinite loop with org-log-done 'time?
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 14:48:31 -0400

Hi list,

I'm running org-mode from git (version "8.3beta"), and recently I started to get hangs in org files. I can't characterize them completely; I have a clear memory of causing something when I hit Enter to create a newline before a heading. Today I managed to reproduce it reliably when I changed a particular heading from DONE to TODO. When I trigger the hang, emacs's CPU spikes to 100% and C-g doesn't stop emacs (it flashes to signal that it got a quit, but doesn't actually quit). I've had to kill emacs, sometimes with -9, and restart.

The bug has been tricky to track down. I can reproduce it reliably in one particular file by switching DONE to TODO on one particular heading. Changing DONE to TODO on another nearby heading doesn't seem to cause the problem. For this reason, I don't have a minimal example.

It doesn't happen in org-mode in stock emacs. It also doesn't happen, even with org-mode from git, if I disable my '(org-log-done 'time) customization. I managed to get a backtrace using gdb (attached). I can provide (off-list) the .org file that I used to induce the failure.

I haven't seen anyone else comment about this issue so I assume it's something specific to my configuration. Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Ethan