Re: [O] LaTeX export and org-add-link-type

From: Leonard Avery Randall
Subject: Re: [O] LaTeX export and org-add-link-type
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 15:19:31 +0100

Hi Serge,

Serge Cohen writes:

> Is this normal, if so is there another way to obtain the same results
> as what is proposed in the documentation ?

The behaviour you are explaining is not normal.  The setup you described
should work.

> To complete the post : I am using Aquamacs (MacOSX gui-version), based
> on GNU emacs 23.4.1 The included version of org.el is Version: 6.33x

Herein lies your problem.  6.33 is a very old version of org. I tested
the old Aquamacs 2.5 with org 6.33 and it does not work.  You should
update your org version and probably your emacs as well.  I tested your
code on the newer Aquamacs 3.0 release and it works.  If you like the
Aquamacs key commands then 3.0 is a reasonable bet. It comes with org
7.9.3. Other good distros for OSX can be acquired through macports,
homebrew, or emacsforosx.  All of these are fairly integrated into the
osx environment (the homebrew distro comes with a few config options so
you may want to look to see which one is best for you).

Regarding org mode version, I would recommend the most recent version
which is available through melpa.  If you have a lot of stuff in your
org configuration file, updating to org version 8.x requires a bit of
work, but the new backend should be stable, so you want have to fiddle
too much with your init file in the future.

Once you upgrade to emacs 24, adding new packages is fairly easy through
package.el. Just add this snippet to your init file.

(when (>= emacs-major-version 24)
  (require 'package)
  (package-initialize)
  (add-to-list 'package-archives
  '("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/";) t))

Then to upgrade to the latest version of org-mode just press `M-x package
install RET org-plus-contrib RET'.

Hope this helps.

All best,
Leonard