[O] Installing Org 8

From: SabreWolfy
Subject: [O] Installing Org 8
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 10:42:49 +0000 (UTC)

I successfully upgraded Org mode to version 8 by following these[1]
instructions. I am now trying to repeat this on a Mac OS X system. After
"M-x list-packages", Emacs connects to elpa.gnu.org and then to orgmode.org,
but reports that it is unable to connect to orgmode.org, and presents a list
of the packages from GNU only (no upgrade is available for org). Navigating
to the Org mode repository directly works, so the site is online. I am using
a modified version of Emacs[2] with various packages pre-installed[3], which
has Org mode version 7.9.3f.

[1] http://orgmode.org/elpa.html
[2] http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/emacs/mac/
[3] This was the only way I could get ESS installed in Emacs under OS X.