Re: [O] cant get org-protocol right

From: Stefan Huchler
Subject: Re: [O] cant get org-protocol right
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 03:11:54 +0200

wow found a solution.

I dont understand why I have to do that, but it seems firefox fucks up
some path or other variables and because of that it doesnt find the
standard server socket file so when I explizitly specifiy that in the
org-protocol.desktop file, it works:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=org-protocol
Exec=emacsclient -s /tmp/emacs1000/server %u
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Categories=System;
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/org-protocol;

I have on suspition what else could be the problem here, I use psd,
profile-sync-daemon:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Profile-sync-daemon

so maybe that causes the problems with finding the server file in tmp,
on the other hand epiphany doesnt has this problem, and psd is also
activated on epiphany, so I am not shure happy that it works with
firefox now.

Would be nice if somebody could update the
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.html
site, the gnome instructions are for gnome 2, most people today use
gnome 3, so u need such a desktop file and then call this command, u
maybe dont need the  "-s /tmp/emacs1000/server" part for other setups,
but with or without it, both would be better than having nothing, I
think with the -s... cant hurt, if u need it or not, in most cases it
should work.

btw I use i3, so its not only a gnome3 issue, I think even kde uses now
this mechanism. When I look at teh kde setup instructions they used a
similar desktop file at that time already. So I think thats no
standardised with this desktop files.