Re: [O] Org equivalent to \chapter*

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Org equivalent to \chapter*
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 22:28:21 -0400

Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:

> Alan L Tyree <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it. Is
>> there an org markup that produces a starred latex heading?
>>
>> In a book, for example, I want the Preface to be at chapter level, but
>> not included in the numbering. Same for HTML export, of course.
>
> ,----[ C-h v org-latex-classes RET ]
> | org-latex-classes is a variable defined in `ox-latex.el'.
> | Its value is shown below.
> `----

How does org-latex-classes help with the OP's question?

AFAIK, org-latex-classes works together with :section-numbers
(org-export-with-section-numbers or #+OPTIONS: num: t|nil|N) to allow
the first N [fn:1] levels of headlines to be numbered while lower levels
are unnumbered. It does not allow selectively turning on/off numbers for
a given level: they are either all on or all off.

And it cannot possibly affect HTML export.

To the best of my knowledge, the answer to the OP's question is that it
cannot be done from org: you have to tweak the export output.

Footnotes:

[fn:1] If set to t, then N is set from the value of org-export-headline-levels
       (3 by default).

--
Nick