Re: [O] Org equivalent to \chapter*

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Org equivalent to \chapter*
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 10:42:09 +0200

Alan L Tyree <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Thanks to everyone who responded.
>>>
>>> Several of my books are out of print and I am converting them to ePub
>>> and to printed form. ePub is pretty smooth by exporting to HTML and
>>> then using Calibre. LaTeX is the obvious choice for print.
>> Have you seen this project:
>>
>>       https://github.com/rzoller/tex2ebook
>>
>> I haven't tried it myself, but the process seems similar to what you
>> are doing only that it uses hevea to convert from tex to html.
>>
>> —Rasmus
>>

> Thanks, Rasmus. I'll have a look at this and report back. Org -> tex
> ->
> HTML would at least solve the unnumbered heading problem (with the use
> of your filter).
>
> As an additional aside, note that Pandoc Markdown permits the use of a
> tag to produce an unnumbered heading when exporting to HTML and LaTeX.
>
> # Heading {.unnumbered}

Pandoc has something good going for it, though in this case Org tags
seem nicer.  I'm particularly envious of the native support of
citations via "@·" in Pandoc.

> I'm a very inexperienced lisp coder, but it seems to me that this
> should be incorporated into the basic exporters. The HTML exporter,
> for example, adds the numbering to each heading. In the loop that
> accomplishes that, it should be easy to ignore headings with a tag
> such as your :nonum:. Otherwise, it is necessary to write a filter
> that not only undoes the numbering for selected headlines, but
> essentially reproduces the numbering algorithms originally introduced
> in ox-html.

How about the TOC?  Should unnumbered headlines still appear there?
If yes the implementation may be as easy as you are suggesting here
and a patch could be written.

—Rasmus

--
Send from my Emacs