Re: [O] Tracking Current Org Version

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Tracking Current Org Version
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2014 16:54:17 +0200

Kenneth Jacker writes:
> For me, there is a little confusion on just which version I'm using ...
>
> I changed to the org-mode "git managed" directory, and entered:
>
>         $ make update
>
>         { Do I need to do more?  I followed the above with
>           "make" and "make install" ... necessary? }

Well, if you do that, then "make up2" is what you really want.  It does
the above plus it doesn't install if the tests fail, so you aren't hosed
if you happen to build at a time where Org is broken.

> After performing the above yesterday and then checking with "M-x org-version"
> shows:
>
>    Org-mode version 8.3beta (release_8.3beta-175-g59cd25
>
> Is that the latest?  No date is included ...

Nor is there any need for that.  The version string tells you that the
most recently "tagged" release version is 8.3beta, there have been 175
commits since then and the commit you're on has an SHA1 starting with
59cd25 (i.e. 'git show 59cd25' will let you look at that commit and 'git
log 59cd25' shows the changes from that point backward).

> In addition, I receive announcements from <elpa.gnu.org> that shows things
> like:
>
>    Latest: org-20140804.tar, 2014-Aug-04, 5.21MB
>
> How does *that* differ/compare to what 'git' is downloading?

ELPA is fed by the "maint" branch, not master.  In a nutshell, between
releases maint only gets bugfixes, while master can remove, change or
add features at any time.  If you are using master, you should be
following the mailing list at least (and know how to install a different
version than the last one for the few times where one of those changes
on master may impact you).

> What is the "best" way to do this?  ;-)

Whatever you prefer.

Achim.