Re: [O] Some thoughts on MobileOrg and its development ....

From: Jacek Generowicz
Subject: Re: [O] Some thoughts on MobileOrg and its development ....
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 12:17:53 +0200

Sean Escriva <address@hidden> writes:

>>> https://cordova.apache.org/

>>    http://kivy.org

> From the little experience I have with them, cross platform frameworks
> do suffer from a loss of fidelity compared to native applications but
> as mentioned that may be an acceptable trade off.

We are talking about interfacing to org-mode, an Emacs mode: I don't
think that the target audience is one which excessively values
platform-specific look-and-feel and has an insurmountable aversion to
idiosyncratic interfaces :-)

> There's tons of options for possible paths here

Do you have a decent resource for seeking them out? I found good ones
surprisingly difficult to find.

> (even https://wukix.com/mocl for fellow LISPers) but the key in my
> mind is to support a community of contributors.

Yes, I almost mentioned Mocl along with Kivy, but two things stopped me:

  + Mocl is not free, which will not help increase the number of
    contributors,

  + I get the feeling that the average org-mode user is even less Lispy
    than your average Emacs user, Elisp notwithstanding.

>>> Unfortunately, due to other existing commitments, i wouldn't be able
>>> to take point on such a reboot.
>>
>> The dreamer in me thinks this might be the itch-to-scratch that finally
>> motivates me to getting to grips with Kivy; the realist in me is pretty
>> certain that I fall into the same category as you.
>
> Realistically this is the issue in most cases, plenty of well meaning
> help but not a lot of time to do anything. Life gets in the way.

For me, after life getting in the way, by far the biggest barrier to
contribution is the platform-specificity of the projects: I simply can't
be bothered to even think about contributing to something which only be
useful to "half" the potential users.