Re: [O] Some thoughts on MobileOrg and its development ....

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] Some thoughts on MobileOrg and its development ....
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 21:07:32 +0800

Henning Weiss <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> My name is Henning and I am the co-maintainer of MobileOrg Android.
>
> The reason I stopped working on the project is partially the lack of
> time, but also because I didn't believe in the design of
> org-mobile-push/pull and edit nodes. Almost half of the bugs on our
> issue tracker are with regards to synchronization. Our mailing list
> is also full with questions about how to set synchronization up. This
> is the reason I tried to come up with a better design based on git
> synchronization. And I did ;)

Sounds great! I think a lot of us already keep our ~/org directories
under git version-control, and probably many more mean to, but just need
a good push to start doing it. This would be a good push.

> I have been working over the last couple of months on a private
> prototype. I'm currently using it in my daily life and it works for
> me. It uses Git (and only Git) for synchronization and doesn't use
> org-mobile at all. The idea is that you keep all org files under git
> version control. Synchronization of all "clients" (apps or Emacs) is
> done against that repository. It is also possible to configure
> whether to use "ours" or "theirs" merge strategy when conflicts
> occur. I have focused on designing an app I can trust.
>
> It already has an outline view like MobileOrg, an agenda view, you
> can add and edit nodes, synchronize changes with a remote repository
> and synchronize scheduled entries to the calendar. I ported some of
> my code from MobileOrg, but a lot of it is written from scratch.
>
> I don't feel comfortable publishing it for general consumption yet.
> There are still some rough edges for the end user, but the core
> functionality is done and it works reliably. If you want to help
> development and testing, feel free to contact me :)

Maybe you could publish a very basic how-to here, and then we could
annoy you privately with problems?

Thanks!
Eric