Re: [O] babel: ob-C with Visual C++ and compilation-mode

From: Ernesto Durante
Subject: Re: [O] babel: ob-C with Visual C++ and compilation-mode
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 19:22:02 +0200

> Well... In this example, we go down from 9 lines to 7 lines. Ok fair.
> But the price is a new syntax to learn:
>  ////main////
> Is it wise to add an org-mode specific syntax to C++ (which already has
> a lot) ?
>
> Being noisy is a weakness of C++.
> I think it is not the responsibility of org-mode to fix that.
>
> Now, org-mode is already able to process main()-less blocks in simple cases.
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC C++
> printf("hello\n");
> #+END_SRC
>
> If we can find a way to extend this feature to more cases,
> without needing a long documentation,
> then, sure, it would be a nice improvement.

I agree with you. Creating a new syntax is not a good idea.

However, in some way, ob-C has created a new syntax implicitly by
instantiating a new main in absence of such a function in the source
block.

So why not to extend this idea by allowing a user defined function to
parse the source block. The default function is clearly
org-babel-C-ensure-main-wrap.

We could create a new header :wrap which replaces :main and holds the user
defined function. It can take three values
nil, org-babel-C-ensure-main-wrap(default), or user-defined-function.

So, in this way user-defined-function holds my own syntax for my future
presentation.

What do you think ?

Best
Ernesto