Re: [O] Clocking in on non-org files

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] Clocking in on non-org files
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 16:01:39 +0200

Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:

>> I'm editing this file, C-c C-x C-i just starts clocking.

> I finally had some time & motivation to look into it.  Below is my
> solution.

This almost works with outshine.el (use head of tj-outshine branch).

Insert outshine header in emacs-lisp-mode buffer:

,----
| ;; * ELISP SCRATCH
`----

and put point at beg-of-line

call M-x outshine-speed-command-help to find this:

,----
| Clock Commands
| --------------
| I   outshine-clock-in
| O   outshine-clock-out
`----

and thus type I to clock in ->

,----
| ;; * ELISP SCRATCH
| ;;   :LOGBOOK:
| ;;   CLOCK: [2014-08-16 Sa 15:47]
| ;;   :END:
`----

(type y when prompted if you want to clock out)

wait 2min, type O to clock out:

,----
| ;; * ELISP SCRATCH
| ;;   :LOGBOOK:
| ;;   CLOCK: [2014-08-16 Sa 15:47]--[2014-08-16 Sa 15:49] =>  0:02
| ;;   :END:
`----

this works *sometimes* only, and the prompts from org-mode are rather
annoying. Its on my agenda to have a deeper look into this pretty
soon. But the whole setup for doing this is already there using
outshine/outorg, all what is needed is maybe a somewhat fancier trick to
con the org clocking mechanism and a way to get rid of those annoying
user-prompts (which are sometime hardcoded into org functions,
unfortunately).

--
cheers,
Thorsten