[O] Usage, OPML, Toodledo (was Re: MobileOrg documentation?)

From: David Masterson
Subject: [O] Usage, OPML, Toodledo (was Re: MobileOrg documentation?)
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 10:49:04 -0700

Sean Escriva <address@hidden> writes:

> Christian Kruse <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Am 07.08.14 09:13, schrieb David Masterson:
>>> Anyone using MobileOrg?
>>
>> I use the iPhone version, via WebDAV. For exactly two things:
>> capturing TODOs and having my todo list at hand when I need it. It
>> works pretty well for these two tasks, gladly.
>
> As the maintainer, this is how I use it generally. I'd love to support
> other usage patterns though.

Could you explain this usage pattern a little (maybe a lot..?) more?  Is
this something like the following?

1. Have MobileOrg load up various Org files for you to view on your
iPhone.

2. Use the Capture menu to capture a ToDo into (I think)
fromMobile.org.

3. Make *NO* changes to the Org files loaded in #1.

4. Refile the capture ToDo items later on your PC after you've pulled
the information from MobileOrg.

If this is the usage pattern, then MobileOrg is not very useful for a
couple of reasons:

First, the ability to view your Org files on your iPhone can probably be
accomplished by exporting your Org files to OPML and then pulling the
OPML files into an outliner on your iPhone.  In fact, the OPML
translation might give you more capabilities in that you could readily
edit your Org file on iOS using the OPML outliner.  I think you can
import OPML files into Org-Mode, right?

Second, better integration with org-toodledo would allow the Org file to
be imported into Toodledo.  Then you could use the various Toodledo Apps
to add/modify/delete ToDos before reintegrating them into Org.  I think
that the current org-toodledo capability has a couple of problems with
respect to Org:

1. Org allows multi-level hierarchies whereas Toodledo only supports one
level currently.

2. Org-Toodledo (I think) only supports one Tasks file and, so, there
would need to be some sort of linking between files on the Org side.

These issues might be overcome and make for a more complete integration
between Org and iOS (and Android?).

--
David Masterson
Programmer At Large