Re: [O] How to get cookies working with TODOs?

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: [O] How to get cookies working with TODOs?
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:46:16 +0100

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Sharon Kimble <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'm trying to get cookies working with TODO items. The source document
>> is a book I'm writing and is an outline of each section and chapters so
>> that I can see what is still to be done. I'm writing it in latex but
>> doing the outline in orgs-mode.
>>
>> * TODO CHAPTER 1 - preface [0%]
>> ** DONE Disclaimer
>> CLOSED: [2014-07-30 Wed 23:49]
>> ** DONE Introduction
>> CLOSED: [2014-07-30 Wed 23:50]
>>

>> Following "5.5 Breaking tasks down into subtasks" in the "org.pdf" I
>> should be able to 'C-c C-c' on the cookie and it updates the cookie,
>> except it doesn't work in this case. There are 5 sections which are all
>> completed in this chapter, but the cookie doesn't update.
>>
>> * TODO CHAPTER 2 - preamble [0/11] [0%]
>> :PROPERTIES:
>> :COOKIE_DATA: todo recursive
>> :END:
>> ** DONE An overview of the endocrine system
>> CLOSED: [2014-07-31 Thu 02:12]
>>
>> Like it shows on page 55. But the cookie doesn't update either in this case.
>
> Hmm, I just tried your example above, and it worked just fine. I didn't
> even need to hit C-c C-c, just adding TODOs and toggling their state
> updated the cookie automatically. I'm using Org-mode version 8.3beta
> (release_8.3beta-232-g644e60 @ /home/eric/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/)
>
> Are you using a relatively recent Org?

Eric - I'm using "Org-mode version 8.2.7c (release_8.2.7c
@ /home/boudiccas/git/org-mode/lisp/)", which is fairly recent so
should be okay.

Hmm, if they work for you then its something in my set-up. And after
having a play, the cookie is only changed when it is toggled [C-c C-t] to
"Waiting" which then shows
** WAITING Anise
CLOSED: [2014-08-20 Wed 10:29]

And only _waiting_ shows as closed, none of these other conditions do -
#+TODO: TODO DONE NEXT IN-PROGRESS NOTES FIXME WAITING

The conditions are set specifically for this one file, and I've just
reverted to a previous 'setq org-todo-keyword-faces' and that now shows
those sections marked as 'DONE' as being closed.

If I 'C-c C-c' a TODO item, whether showing as "TODO/DONE/whatever" it
triggers the setting of 'org-tags'! So something is screwy there, but I
don't know what! But it does not trigger the insertion of "CLOSED:<the-date>"

Nick - I do have 'org-provide-todo-statistics' set to "t"

I've just uploaded my 'setup-orgmode.el' file to my bitbucket, at
"https://bitbucket.org/boudiccas/dots/src/d1c750572c9367c3d86b5a1f9cfa200e07e9d988/emacs/setup-orgmode.el?at=master";
and I would be very grateful if anybody could tell me where I'm going
wrong, and then how to put it right, please?

I think that the problems all stem from my set-up, but I can't see exactly
where.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.92.1