Re: [O] Babel more verbose?

From: Gary Oberbrunner
Subject: Re: [O] Babel more verbose?
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 09:20:58 -0400

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 11:01 AM, David Wagle <address@hidden> wrote:
It sounds like perhaps the issue is code blocks with a long run-time that may or may not fail or hang in some way?

If that's the case, the solution is probably simply breaking up your code blocks into smaller bits of code so that you more easily follow what's happening.

If the code is emacs-lisp, it's easy enough to put (message ...) calls entering and leaving the code blocks.

The defadvice idea is great; I will try it and report back.  As for breaking up my code blocks... I wish I could, but some of my SQL queries are just very long running.  We have a lot of data.  I want to look into indexing and other SQL optimizations -- but I need something in my org-mode to at least show me which blocks are the long-running ones, so I can know where to start!

Someone else mentioned that the message about "Wrote <sql input file>" could be suppressed; just don't forget that we users need _something_ to help debug our babel code.  If one of my sql queries goes wrong, I get something like this in the messages buffer:

executing Sql code block (machines-by-week)...
mysql  ... -N  < "c:/tmp/babel-26204dNc/sql-in-26204uKN" > "c:/tmp/babel-26204dNc/sql-out-262047UT"
Wrote c:/tmp/babel-26204dNc/ob-input-26204IfZ
Babel evaluation exited with code 1

so in this case it'd be OK if the "Wrote <file>" went away, because the entire mysql command is still there, so I can find that temp file (which babel doesn't clean up, btw, and in my case that's a good thing!) and trace it back to which code block it came from.

But it would be way better if mysql-mode would actually show the sql error!

--
Gary