Re: [O] Make html password protected?

From: Ian Barton
Subject: Re: [O] Make html password protected?
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 10:50:30 +0100

On 08/09/14 11:22, Rainer M Krug wrote:
Hi

I do not have much experience with html and websites (what an
understatement!) but I would like to publish / export a simple html page
password protected. Is ther an easy way to do it in word?

The content is not highly confidential or sensitive, just some analysis
for a paper of which I would like to provide regular feedback to my
co-authors and which should not be to easily readable by others.

Any suggestions?

It depends if you have access to your web server configuration. If you are able to modify it the simplest way is to create an .htacess file in the directory containing your file:

AuthName        "Journal"
AuthType        Digest file:
AuthUserFile    /etc/httpd/journal.passwd
Require         valid-user
Order           allow,deny
Satisfy         any

You can create a password file with:

htdigest -c /etc/httpd/journal.passwd "Journal" username

To add more users omit the -c argument, which will create a new file.

Make sure you use digest authentication not basic (ie don't use htpasswd). Basic authentication transmits user names and passwords in plain text.

Ian.