[O] org-mode-hook not called when entering org files (Was: Re: org-crypt

From: Rémi Letot
Subject: [O] org-mode-hook not called when entering org files (Was: Re: org-crypt doesn't automatically encrypt on save)
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 18:44:58 +0200

look near the end of the post for org-mode-hook specific explanation :-)

Darlan Cavalcante Moreira <address@hidden> writes:

> One note first, if you change org-modules manually like that you must
> make sure this change is done before org-mode is loaded. I prefer to use
> the customize interface just for org-modules for that reason.

Hmmm, the starter kit requires org in the very first step of
initialization, so that might be the problem... I dug a bit in the doc
and tried org-reload, which doesn't solve my problem...

> I also add org-crypt to org-modules like you do. If I open my
> password.org file and open it directly I will have the same behaviour
> you get. Maybe the save magic does not work reliable when org-crypt is
> loaded through org-modules, I'm not sure.

I didn't know what org-modules did, so I had a look at the source (great
first for me :-) Apparently it just requires the listed extensions, so
requiring org-crypt does the same.

> When I call my function that requires org-crypt and calls
> org-crypt-use-before-save-magic before opening my password file
> everything works. But I only do it like this because I have a single
> file with encrypted entries and I prefer to delay loading org-crypt
> initialization. I profiled my configuration some time ago and decided to
> do that to reduce i little bit the initialization time.
>

> Since you already require org-crypt, just add
> "(org-crypt-use-before-save-magic)" after the require and see if that
> solves your problem.

It's already just under the require :-)

Here is my complete org-crypt config:

  (add-to-list 'org-modules 'org-crypt)
  (require 'org-crypt)
  ; Encrypt all entries before saving
  (org-crypt-use-before-save-magic)
  (setq org-tags-exclude-from-inheritance (quote ("crypt")))
  ; GPG key to use for encryption
  (setq org-crypt-key "730D80837333AD60")

org-crypt-use-before-save-magic just populates org-mode-hook with a
before-save-hook, which is correctly done in my case. The trick is that
org-mode-hook doesn't seem to fire when I open an org file...

confirmed: I had a look at the other variables that it should change,
and they do not appear to be modified when I open an org file.

all org seems to work fine, but for some reason org-mode-hook is not
called when I open an org file...

Changing the title as I have a more precise problem :-)

Thanks,
--
Rémi