Re: [O] Cooperating with oneself using the cloud?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] Cooperating with oneself using the cloud?
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 19:23:18 +0800

Martin Schöön <address@hidden> writes:

> One of the things I use org-mode for is making and maintaining
> TODO-lists. I do this at home and at work and I want the org-files of
> interest to be available and up-to-date at home and at work. The
> work-related org-file can not be publicly available for obvious
> reasons.
>
> I have emailed these files back and forth. This works but it isn't
> fool-proof (sometimes I forget) and I think there should be a less
> clumsy way to do this.
>
> I have tried a  free and secure web-dav service. They are closing
> down and it also was a bit on the clumsy side since I never got their
> windows client to work at work. (Linux at home using cadaver.)
>
> I have seen Git being mentioned in this context in these nooks of the
> woods. That should work if I can find a free Git repository allowing
> me to keep files secret. I have looked at a few but have not seen
> (key word!) clear information on this.
>
> Options like BitTorrent Sync work really well but only if both
> computers run simultaneous which is not the case.
>
> Other options? Dropboxish services that keep prying eyes at bay?

At some point you might consider renting a little server space -- you
have to pay, but it's awfully useful for many things.

Another option would be getting a mini home server that sits in a closet
and is always on. That solves the BitTorrent Sync problem, and you'll
suddenly find it's good for a bunch of other stuff as well: backups,
music, printing, other torrents, LAN filesharing...

Both options are annoying in their own way, but once you've got
something up and running, you'll be pleased!