Re: [O] org-babel-load-file misleading function name, wrong behavior

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] org-babel-load-file misleading function name, wrong behavior
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 11:07:50 -0400

Marcin Antczak <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to suggest changing the name to 'org-babel-load-lisp' as
> current name of this function doesn't emphasise that it can tangle and
> load "emacs-lisp" code blocks only.
>
> Another problem is that currently 'compile' option is performed every time.
> Which is plain wrong.
>
> Compile option is supposed to improve load time and should be
> performed only when it's neccessary.

The name was probably picked in analogy to the corresponding emacs-lisp
function `load-file' which also loads lisp files only. The latter is
much too well entrenched to ever consider renaming. The org-babel
version is certainly not, so renaming it is a possibility, although IMO
it's a hassle without much payoff: C-h f org-babel-load-file tells you
what you need to know.

Nick