Re: [O] [patch, ox] Unnumbered headlines

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [patch, ox] Unnumbered headlines
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 21:40:55 +0200

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks for the comments.  Let's give it another try, shand't we.

There we go.

> Okay, I returned to my first hack (which never made it to this list).
> Basically, I ID everything.  Unnumbered sections get the id
> "unnumbered-sec-COUNTER" and numbered sections get the id
> "sec-COUNTER".
>
> Perhaps you will find it too much of a hack.

I don't think it is a hack. I am just pointing out that how we refer
internally to headlines has an effect on output clarity. I let you
strike a balance between clarity and easiness of implementation. Note
that the internal reference can be a bit cryptic (e.g. num-1-1 and
nonum-2).

>> At the moment, referring to an unnumbered section displays its name.
>
> In some modes, yes.  In LaTeX it produces a \ref{ยท} that LaTeX will
> laugh at.

This is incorrect.

  * Headline
    :PROPERTIES:
    :CUSTOM_ID: test
    :END:
    This is a link to [[#test]].

will produce

  \section*{Headline}
  \label{sec-1}
  This is a link to \hyperref[sec-1]{Headline}.

> If you have a better idea than using the title I'm all ears!

On the contrary, using the title is what is usually done. I'm all for
it.

>> Comparing symbols with `equal' is a sin beyond redemption. Use `eq'.
>
> Why, out of curiosity?  I though equal was like the meaner, tougher
> eq, that gets shit right, but is a bit more expensive.

This is about using the right tool for the job. Unless you mess with the
obarray, two symbols with the same name are guaranteed to be `eq'.
There's really no reason to use anything else.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou