Re: [O] CV in orgmode for export to pdf (and html?

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] CV in orgmode for export to pdf (and html?
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 10:23:23 +0200

First of all, thanks to everybody so far who responded to this
question.

I reply to my question directly, as I am trying to sum up the replies
so far (the complete thread is theoretically below).

There are effectively two "schools",

- using LaTeX (Tory, Andreas, John and Brady), and
- using org (Dan, Myles(?) and Xavier)

The reasons for using LaTeX directly were mainly the simplicity of
using LaTeX directly instead of telling org how to export to the
format wanted, while the reasons for using org were simplicity of
editing in org and the export to different formats (apart from pdf
also html).

I will not go further into the LaTeX as there is a vast amount of info
available on the Internets.

My reasoning why I want to use org instead of LaTeX is the same as
mentioned in the thread, which is the simplicity of editing in org.
In addition, I like the different backends, and that the actual
content is separated from the export.

I like Dan's approach as it looks relatively simple, although I still
have to look into it in detail (and as Joseph notes, there must be a
problem in the code).

Xavier's approach looks *very* impressive. I like the pdf, and I am
seriously thinking of using it, but my problem is the complexity - if
it breaks, I have no idea where to fix it. But as the original CV is
in org, the data would be there and I simply have to change the
export / publishing.

So what am I going to do?  I think I will start entering the CV into
org and then use Xavier's or Dan's approach and then see if I can get
a layout I like.

I like the idea of Rasmus to re-define the description environment,
and I might also play with this.

I think that org could be a perfect environment for building CVs if
one could come up with an HOWTO and many examples how to do it - and I
think this is going into the right direction.

So thanks a lot everybody for their input so far and keep the comments
and ideas flowing.

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug