Re: [O] meaningfull names for org-src buffers

From: Charles Berry
Subject: Re: [O] meaningfull names for org-src buffers
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 19:55:45 +0000 (UTC)

Andreas Leha <andreas.leha <at> med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Grant Rettke <gcr <at> wisdomandwonder.com> writes:
> > On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 5:05 PM, Adriaan Sticker
> > <adriaan.sticker <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I was wondering if it's somehow possible to give named org src buffer the
> >> name they were give in their #+NAME tag? Now there are just called
> >> something like:
> >> *Org Src test.org[ R ]*
> >>
> >> But if you have multiple org-src buffers opened at the same time, its
> >> hard to find the correct one back.
> >
> > Excellent idea. I've got so many small source blocks that it is too
> > difficult to make sense of
> > keeping multiple source block edit buffers open and limit them to one
> > at a time eg
> >
> > ,----
> > | (setq org-src-window-setup 'current-window)
> > `----
> >
> > How have you come upon your workflow of keeping multiple open and what
> > are some of the pros and
> > cons that you've found with it?
>
> I'd be interested in this as well.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

Maybe I am answering the wrong question, but org-edit-src-code allows
you to specify the buffer name:

,----[ C-h f org-edit-src-code RET ]
| org-edit-src-code is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
| `org-src.el'.
|
| (org-edit-src-code &optional CONTEXT CODE EDIT-BUFFER-NAME)

`----

So you can do something like this:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (defun org-edit-src-code-plus-name ()
    (interactive)
    (let* ((eop  (org-element-at-point))
           (name (or (org-element-property :name (org-element-context eop))
                      "unnamed"))
           (lang (org-element-property :language eop))
           (buff-name (concat "*Org Src " name "[ " lang " ] *")))
      (org-edit-src-code nil nil buff-name)))
#+END_SRC

which leads to a buffer named like "*Org Src My-block[ R ] *", where
'My-block' is the name of the src block.

HTH,

Chuck