Re: [O] Multi-file and master files

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Multi-file and master files
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 11:03:22 +0200

Hi Phillip,

address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:

> I've been writing a long document in org-mode recently. I decided to use
> org-mode for two reasons: firstly, I wrote the outline plan in org
> anyway and switching tools was irritating; second, I want both PDF and
> HTML output. My tool of choice would have been latex and auctex where it
> not for the HTML requirement.
>
> Setting it up was a little difficult, but in general it's going okay
> now. However, I am really missing the notion of "master" documents from
> auctex. I have a "main" file which just includes other files each of
> which contain a specific section.
>
> Now, the export functionality works, but many org commands appear not
> to work propertly. So, for example, footnotes adds new footnotes
> starting from 1 in each file, but in the HTML export the earlier
> footnotes get overwritten. Likewise, there is no good tool for putting
> in crosslinks, compared to reftex in latex.
>
> Am I missing things here? Or would it make more sense to move to latex,
> with all the hacking that this entails for the HTML output.

I might be misunderstanding your question here, so bear(?) with me.

I think #+INCLUDE: "$FILE" should take care of what you want.
Basically, at export time, INCLUDE is expanded to the content of $FILE
in the buffer.  Footnotes should work.

Your structure should be something like:

> cat master.org
#+TITLE: my title
* intro
  Txt with footnotes
#+INCLUDE: "chapter1.org"

> cat chapter1.org
* chapter 1
  Txt with footnotes

To include something put "<I" at the beginning of the line and click
TAB.  This will make sure syntax is correct, (even if the above is
not).

Hope it helps,
Rasmus

--
I almost cut my hair, it happened just the other day