Re: [O] Multi-file and master files

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [O] Multi-file and master files
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 15:40:29 +0100

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:
> address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:
>
>> Hmmm. I seem to have trashed by org install by loading from ELPA;
>> currently, interactively, I can't export at all.
>
> Do C-h f on some org functions and check that they are from the elpa
> installation.
>
> See also:
>
>      http://orgmode.org/org.html#Installation
>
> Namely:
>> Important: you need to do this in a session where no .org file has
>> been visited, i.e. where no Org built-in function have been
>> loaded. Otherwise autoload Org functions will mess up the
>> installation.
>
> If you didn't adhere to this, maybe try to delete your
> ~/.emacs.d/elpa/org... and try installing again from emacs -q.

Oh dear, yes, forgot to restart after org updated.

>> It's still working through by batch process which is using cask and
>> probably has a different version of org.
>
> I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

Cask is a command line tool that I use for doing installs from ELPA
while doing continuous integration, and some batch processes. So the
org-mode that I am using in my interactive emacs and the one that is
being used in my unit tests can be different.

>> Is there a stable org-mode package repo? At the moment, both ELPA and
>> the org-mode repo appear to be bleeding egde...
>
> Yeah, it's the maint branch in the git repo.  Are you sure that
> org-elpa isn't using maint?
>
>   http://orgmode.org/elpa.html

from org/archive-contents

(1 (org              . [(20140929) ( ) "Outline-based notes management and
organizer" tar])
   (org-plus-contrib . [(20140929) ( ) "Outline-based notes management and
organizer" tar]))

from elpa/archive-contents

 (org .
      [(20140929)
       nil "Outline-based notes management and organizer" tar nil])

Far as I can tell both ELPA and the Org elpa repo have the same
version, and it's recent and fast updated. The Download and Install info
on orgmode.org says...

Stable version 8.2.7c (Jui. 2014) — tar.gz or zip (release notes).

Development version (cgit):

~$ git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git

M-x list-packages RET (see Org ELPA)

i.e. ELPA is on dailies.

Slightly confusing. I would have expected ELPA to do a stable install,
and then git for those wanting the bleeding edge. Is the only purpose
for the org-mode ELPA to hold plus-contrib which probably includes no
FSF assigned code?

I can do a git based install if I have to, but would rather not if I
don't!

> BTW: I now see the bug you are talking about (missing footnotes for
> second file) when I start with emacs -Q, i.e. using the org version
> shipped with Emacs.

Okay, I will check this more carefully!

Thanks for the help.

Phil