Re: [O] org-mode for knowledge management

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [O] org-mode for knowledge management
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 01:54:03 +0200

On 2014-10-10, at 00:17, Louis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been using org-mode for a variety of purposes for a few years. I find
> that it suffers from the same problem that other such tools do. The
> problem is me. I can't remember week to week how I may have classified
> some scrap of information. Did I drop it into notes/someproduct.org or was
> it procedures/someprocess.org?
>
> While working through this, I've used #+INDEX: Topic!subtopic which helps
> but is not sufficiently granular.
>
> I'm thinking about approaches using properties or drawers. Has any of you
> done something like this, or done something similar that I've not
> considered?

Did you consider a /totally opposite/ approach?  I'm currently
reorganizing my org files (I had about 15 of them) so that I will be
able to cut them down to ≈ half that value.  The fewer, the better.  And
grep is your friend.  (I haven't yet got accustomed to C-c a s, but it's
really good.)

Also, if English is not your native language, consider making notes in
English.  Whether you like it or not, it has one huge advantage: it's
/simple/.  Almost no inflections, so grepping English texts is /much/
easier than, say, Polish (we have /a lot/ of inflections).  (In this
regard, Esperanto is even better, though personally I'm not fluent
enough in it to make my notes in Esperanto comfortably.)

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Your rapidly graying, Louis

Hth,

--