Re: [O] org-mode for knowledge management

From: mbork
Subject: Re: [O] org-mode for knowledge management
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 23:40:50 +0200

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 22:46:58 +0700, Daniel Clemente <address@hidden>
wrote:

> 1. Every information should have a single location, not two. Mix
sections
> fast if you detect repetitions. Use links extensively (C-c l) to connect
> one header with another, specially after you get lost once. Don't bother
> too much about finding the right place at the first time, you'll
eventually
> reorder or move headers to the correct place.

Yes (except that I don't use links).  But the principle is /very/ good:
"for each piece of information, you should know where to look for it: in
the place it /should/ be".

> 2. Use global search (C-a /), you can use regular expressions there. No
> need to use grep.

Yes.

> 3. Use the package „helm“ to get fast access to all headers or to a
> subsection of headers (e.g. the ones you tag). E.g. I use <<<radio>>> to
> give important sections a title. After 1 key you start typing some
letters,
> select with cursors, press ENTER and go to the header.

I don't use (nor want to start) helm; I use Ido, and I'm going to switch
to Icicles some day.  But the principle is true.

>> Also, if English is not your native language, consider making notes in
>> English.  Whether you like it or not, it has one huge advantage: it's
>> /simple/.  Almost no inflections, so grepping English texts is /much/
>> easier than, say, Polish (we have /a lot/ of inflections).  (In this
>> regard, Esperanto is even better, though personally I'm not fluent
>> enough in it to make my notes in Esperanto comfortably.)
>
>   And I thought I was the only one taking notes in Esperanto! >700 Kb of
>   my notes are in Esperanto. Sometimes I invent new words which later I
>   don't find by searching, but after I do, I add the new variants of the
>   title. It's great for defining strange concepts.
>   Inflections are a minor problem in most languages, just use partial
>   search or regexp (e.g. in Polish use „słow“ instead of „słowo“,
>   „następn.*“ etc.) and you'll find everything. If you want
inflection-free
>   languages you'll need Indonesian, Chinese, …
>   But I wouldn't force taking notes in a language you don't like, just
use
>   the ones you like. („the ones“, in plural).

Well, I don't really use Esperanto (it's been like twenty years since
I've been fluent in it...), but I can see the benefits.

Also, in Polish it's not so simple: not only have you inflections, but
also some changes /inside/ the word (especially with vowels).  For
instance, plural genitive of "słowo" ("word") is "słów", so you need
more than e.g. "słow" - you need "sł[oó]w".  And this can become tedious
pretty quickly.

>   Ĝis!
>
> Daniel

Ĝis!